Well, first of all it’s more like a lifestyle change and a way of eating than a diet.
Yes, once AGAIN I will be making a switch. For the millionith zillionith time. . . . . but BUT this time I designed it and it is already working. I feel better, feel satisfied and my blood sugars are going down. So what did I decide? I did what makes sense from my research.(Oh lawd did I read a lot) I used diets and ways of eating that already exist. I talked to people who know more than I do about nutrition. . . . and voila! So what ways of eating did I look at and what am I applying?
- The Low Carb High Fat Diet: Like I said previously, this diet in it’s entirety cannot work for me. The high fat and protein amount my tummy just won’t handle. However, the idea is that you make your body use fat instead of carbs for fuel. This I understand to work for many diabetics. What did I steal? Low carb. Some of their recipes I can tolerate, others I can’t.
- The Paleo Diet: Eating like our primal ancestors is the thought behind this way of eating. Fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, proteins, nuts and seeds are all part of the diet. Alcohol, beans, dairy, processed food, and grains are all no no’s. Gluten is eliminated for celiac disease and it’s lactose free. So what did I steal? I’m going to eat as little processed food as I can and reduced dairy intake. Also reduce my grain intake. I don’t need gluten free but I believe I am dairy sensitive.
- The FODMAP diet: This diet is meant for those with digestive problems and disorders. It reduces problems related to these issues by eliminating a series of different fermentable and poorly absorbed carbs that cause havoc in the gut and may cause different ailments. The lists of food are long and confusing honestly but make sense that they cause problems. I was told to go on this diet by a professional. So what did I steal? Everything but completely lactose free and completely gluten free. I will also be having whole grains when I eat grains. Otherwise- everything!
- Healthy Skin Diet : I complied a list of everything I could find that is good for healthy skin. What did I steal? I’m definitely going to be including these foods as much as I can.
So my guidelines in summary are:
- no soy
- limited garlic
- limited onion
- cooked veggies, berries and fruits
- low lactose
- low grain
- low carb
- lean protein
Real food, real good, customized for me!